thermal imaging is a recognised technique for detecting loose or corroded
connections. A poor electrical connection under load will rise in
temperature. Arcing will occur and eventually the connection will fail
or at worst cause a fire resulting in an expensive shut-down of the
associated equipment or machinery.
A thermal imager can detect and record temperature differences as low as 0.3°C
which is far above the sensitivity required to detect electrical faults. A warm wire
in a bundle of wires or amongst hundreds of terminals will be immediately detected
and displayed. Overheated components or components that are breaking down and
visually normal to an electrician will also be immediately apparent to a thermal imager operator.
Preventative maintenance surveys can save on-line breakdowns, delivery
schedules and in the long term significant costs. Horton Levi specialise in
electrical surveys and predictive maintenance. See also
These images are samples of overheated connectors/cables and a transformer that is breaking down.
Loose connection on red
Poor connection from
Horton Levi Ltd are
Approved Installer's of HAWK Infrared Sightglasses
HAWK Infrared Sightglasses
are becoming commonplace in HV and LV installations in the
USA and UK.
advantages of using infrared windows are numerous;
1. Fast and efficient monitoring of components under
2. No shut down required;
3. Safety – non contact measuring without removing
4. Economical – site survey time is rapidly reduced.
Long or Shortwave I.R Crystal (C RANGE)
- Field of view six times the cabinet depth (F=Dx6) – depending on
- Easily installed in electrical cabinets
- Aluminium security cover
- Stainless steel tamperproof access screws
- Silicone gasket (alternatives available)
- Anodised aluminium housing
- Totally insoluble I.R Crystal with CLIRVU coating system
- Transparent in the visible spectrum
- Up to 96% I.R transmission
- IP^% at all times – BS: EN60529
- UL approved for new build and field installation